Our Curriculum - RSHE
Relationships and Sex Education
Jigsaw is our teaching programme for Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) which includes statutory Relationships Education, statutory Health Education and non-statutory Sex Education (RSE).
- RSHE is about the emotional, social and cultural development of pupils, and involves learning about relationships, sexual health, sexuality, healthy lifestyles, diversity and personal identity.
- RSHE involves a combination of sharing information, and exploring issues and values.
- RSHE is not about the promotion of sexual activity.
RSHE (Jigsaw) Scheme:
- RSHE is taught through the final three puzzles (units) in our Jigsaw Scheme: ‘Healthy Me’, 'Relationships' and 'Changing Me'.
- The Relationships and Changing Me units are covered in the Summer Term. Each year group will be taught appropriate to their age and developmental stage.
At Thomas Barnes we teach sex education to Year 5 and 6. Parents are able to view and discuss the curriculum before it is taught and they have a right to withdraw their child if they wish. If you are the parent of a Year 5 or 6 child and you have a question, query or concern then please do not hesitate to contact the school office.
Below is a summary of RSHE coverage within the Jigsaw scheme for each year group.
What our pupils say about PSHE
"I love calm me time because I feel relaxed after" Reception pupil
"Everyone has a voice and can join in." Year 6 pupil
"Everyone is included in the activities. We are very mature." Year 6 pupil